Pride in Prevention
Show Your LGBTQ Pride! Take Action to Prevent HIV! Take #PrideInPrevention!
To encourage community-based organizations serving lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning/queer (LGBTQ) people around the country to incorporate HIV prevention messaging for young gay and bisexual men into their work, AIDS United is launching an Instagram image promotion called “#PrideInPrevention
.” The promotion is part of our m2MPower initiative, which seeks to halt the rising rates of HIV among gay and bisexual men and other men who have sex with men.
Work with your community-based LGBTQ organization to produce up to four (4) images that promote HIV prevention tools and fits the theme, “#PrideInPrevention
” connecting HIV prevention and LGBTQ Pride. The promotion takes place during the month of June (National LGBT Pride month) beginning June 18, and will conclude on July 31, 2014. Selected organizations will be offered a contract of up to $3,000 to further integrate HIV prevention activities in their regular work. Organizations will be selected after the July 31, 2014 deadline.
How to Enter:
- Read the rules and regulations for the promotion.
- Visit the CDC’s website for resources on HIV prevention at:
- Create an image or series of images (up to four) targeting gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men, that promotes HIV prevention tools and fits the theme, “#PrideInPrevention,” which connects LGBTQ Pride and HIV prevention/awareness.
- Ensure that your organization has the rights to distribute and authorize the distribution of any and all content contained within your submission and ensure that the content of your image(s) adhere(s) to Instagram’s rules and guidelines.
- Submit your image(s) using your organization’s Instagram profile using the hashtag #PrideInPrevention and tagging AIDS United (@aidsunited), agreeing to the rules and regulations of the promotion and making sure to have the contact email address in the Instagram profile.
- Share the link to your image(s) with your friends and fans, encouraging them to “like” and share your submission.
- Follow AIDS United on Instagram
- For examples of images, visit AIDS United's Instagram here.
Sample messages to integrate into your images
- You can prevent the spread of HIV.
- Knowing your HIV status helps you take control of your health.
- Taking an HIV test can be simple and easy.
- If you are negative, use a condom every time.
- If you are positive and on treatment, you reduce the chance of transmitting HIV by up to 96%.
- Alcohol and drugs cloud judgment and can lead to risky behavior.
- Pre-exposure prophylaxis, if taken as indicated, can reduce the risk of HIV transmission by 90%.
Useful Apps for Image Creation
- Photo Grid
- Pic Stitch
- Must be 18+ to participate and an authorized representative of a LGBTQ organization (with a 501c3 status or the organization must have a fiscal sponsor).
- Only LGBTQ organizations or community-based organizations that reach gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men are eligible. (Organizations whose primary work is HIV/AIDS are ineligible.)
- Must submit content via Instagram and agree to the rules and regulations of the promotion.
- content must conform to Instagram rules, regulations, and guidelines.
- The promotion will run from June 18 through July 31, 2014.
- Selected organizations will be determined by a selection panel using the following criteria:
- Innovative messaging;
- Relevance to thematic prevention messaging;
- Frequency of shares and #PrideInPrevention hashtag through other social media outlets including Facebook and Twitter; and
- Number of likes on Instagram.
- Organizations will be contacted via the email address associated with their Instagram account (all Instagram profiles must have a visible email address).
- Up to four (4) images may be submitted over the course of the month.
- Images must convey the connection between LGBTQ Pride and HIV prevention/awareness.
- To help explain the messaging, images must also include text either on the image itself OR in the description of the image.
- Entrants must have the rights to distribute and authorize the distribution of any and all content contained within their submissions.
- By entering the promotion, you agree to grant AIDS United the right to promote, share, and redistribute your entry as it sees fit.
- AIDS United is not liable or responsible for the accuracy, quality, and legality of the content submitted.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Instagram.
- Each selected organization will receive a contract of up to $3,000 to work with AIDS United to further integrate HIV into their work.
VISA, Mastercard & AMEX accepted.
AIDS United has been ranked a Four Star Charity by Charity Navigator.
News and Updates
To encourage community-based organizations serving lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and ...
Latest Blog Post
By Christine Rodriguez
Public Policy Manager
National Viral Hepatitis Roundtable
World Hepatitis Day, ...