AIDS United is thrilled to announce applications are now being accepted for the Pedro Zamora Public Policy Fellowship.
This fellowship is designed for current students or recent graduates with an interest and passion for social justice and public health advocacy. Students seeking a foundation for public policy work can build essential knowledge and skills. Previous fellows have worked on a wide range of projects, ranging from drug pricing, molecular surveillance and sex worker advocacy to a hurricane preparedness project, headed by former fellow Jake Soira.
This position reports to the director of advocacy. Familiarity with the legislative process and HIV-related issues is a definite plus, though not required. People living with or from communities disproportionately affected by HIV are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Pedro Zamora Public Policy Fellowship was established in memory of Pedro Zamora, an early national advocate for HIV. Zamora introduced himself to a generation of Americans with his appearance on MTV’s immensely popular “The Real World: San Francisco,” introducing millions of viewers to the successes and struggles of someone living with the disease. Zamora’s bravery was a major early step in chipping away at entrenched stigmas. His death in 1994 further pushed HIV advocacy to the forefront.
Zamora served on the board of directors for AIDS Action, which later merged with the National AIDS Fund to form AIDS United.
Primary responsibilities for this fellowship include:
- Providing logistical and technical support to the organization.
- Developing and coordinating written reports, briefs and other materials related to policy.
- Supporting communications and public affairs efforts, including written blog posts, reviewing articles related to AIDS United’s core mission and making recommendations for organizational responses. This fellow will be contributing AIDS United Policy Update on a weekly basis.
- Attending meetings and briefings on Capitol Hill and other related events.
- Supporting planning and logistics for our annual conference AIDSWatch and virtual its virtual counterpart, AIDSWatch@Home.
- Other duties as assigned.
See our listing for more details, including pay, hours and more.