Dr. Jonathan Mermin gave a presentation to AIDSWatch 2020 on March 30, 2020. Mermin is the director for the National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD and TB Prevention at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Mermin’s presentation focused on COVID-19 and what people living with HIV need to know.
He offered five recommendations:
- Have an ample supply of medication, ideally a 90-day supply.
- Keep vaccinations up-to-date, particularly the influenza and pneumococcus vaccines.
- Establish a plan for clinical care if isolated/quarantined. Consider telemedicine options or physician online portals.
- Maintain a social network to socialize distantly.
- In conversation with health care providers, weigh the risks and benefits of going to office visits or the hospital.
Watch the entire presentation for more detailed information and answers to other important questions.